Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day Tribute to My Mama

I have the best mom ever - I am sure that most people feel that way but when I say it is really true! When I think about my childhood I always think of how enchanted it was. Growing up I always knew that my parents loved me and wanted me. They cared for me, taught me, sacrificed for me, put up with my crazy emotions and moods, seemed to enjoy being around me and tried so hard to make sure that I was happy.

scan0009
My mom has taught me so many things over the years. She spent countless hours with a very frustrated kid (me) trying to learn to read, but she always encouraged me and I can't remember her ever getting frustrated or angry at me. I hope she thinks it paid off because I do! I would never had made it this far in my life, education, career if not for that devoted time to me - how do I ever repay that?
scan0007

Some random memories of my mom. She always made holidays wonderful. We decorated, made cookies, ate yummy food, candy, etc. We had parties and played games, we had fun traditions and continue to make them as we grow.PC240426

PC240407

My favorite Christmas memory is of 1984, that year we went on vacation to Australia and New Zealand for a month (I think that is the right amount of time). We had a great time - it was amazingly beautiful. We got a little tree and made decorations and hung them in our RV. We all bought tiny gifts for each other and opened them on Christmas morning. My parents told us that Santa must have got confused and taken our toys to Balkipapan and left them there - we being the trusting kids believed them! I was 9 and being to not believe but when we got home a miracle had happened! We walked into our home, that had not been decorated before we left, to a Christmas miracle - the tree, lights, stocking, toys - it was all there and my unbelief became belief in one view of the room. Santa didn't only exist but he was a great decorator as well. Later I learned that it was my moms good friend that did all the work - to a child it was amazing!

scan0016 scan0011
When we were really little my mom made all of our clothing - we matched most of the time. Shelly and I loved it - we would even ask her to do our hair the same way!
My parents joined the church after I was born and I always tell people that the gospel gave me 7 other siblings! I am so very grateful for them and her willingness to teach me to love all children and embrace them for who they are.

nauvoo0822 
I love that my mom is still a mom of little kids - it is a great advantage to see my mom pray, ponder and wonder about Mandy and Nathan. Why you ask? I think back as a kid and it seemed like there were never struggles or worries she had as a mom - I know that is not true but that is how I remember it! And now I see how she solves these problems, issues or fears and she is a great example to us again.

scan0001


My mom taught me or inspired me in many ways, here are some of the things I have learned in the last 33 years at her side:

  • to learn - she was always reading, taking classes
  • to cook - she is a great cook
  • to love
  • to forgive
  • to enjoy the beauty of the earth
  • to have fun and enjoy life
  • to be grateful
  • to serve - she has always served others willingly and without compliant
  • to travel - my wanderlust comes from both of my parents but mainly from my mom
  • to work hard - she was always a good example of this
  • to sew - something I have done consistently longer than anything else in my life
  • to make the most of the experiences we have
  • to spend time with the people that are important to us
  • to take pictures of landscapes - somewhat of a family joke
  • to sacrifice
  • to be patient - with others, time, things we want
  • to love the Lord and the gospel

1 comments:

Shelly Turpin said...

Very nice.
LOVED the pictures!