Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!


Today we celebrate all those who have served and died for this country, as well as those we love who have gone before us. I am tremendously grateful for all of the soldiers that have, are, or will serve these great United States in defending our freedoms and our home. I am related to some, unfortunately I do not have many pictures on my computer, so I am just not going to include any.

Robert Glenn Ball, my paternal grandfather, was a pilot in WWII and the Korean War in which he died. He was a great solider, husband and father.

Wallace Lee Belcher (Pepa), my maternal grandfather, joined the Navy at 17 and served in the Pacific during WWII. He also was a great solider, husband, father, and still is a great Pepa to all of his grand kids.

I have many great uncles that fought during WWII - my Grandma always was so good at going and putting flowers on their graves. The ones I knew best were Otto Pitt (Butch), Ivan Pitt, and Eddie. One of them I think Ivan (not sure) brought back the china that I use. It was made in Japan during the war and he brought it back for my great grandma.

Then there are more recent soldiers that lucky for us are still around. My brother-in-law Benjamin Thomas Lowe served in the Army in Iraq and still works there as a civilian.

My good friend Dallas served in the Navy before I meet her.

Then there are those that I just get to remember on this day of memories. Both of my grandmothers passed away in a 18 months time period. Leona Faye Pitt Ball and Glowie Mae Pickard Belcher - I miss them all of the time and sure hope this gets easier over time.

I also have some babies that we miss in our family.
Mary Ann Ball (Feb. 20, 1980) my little sister.
Benjamin Jason Turpin ( December 10, 1994)my nephew.
Declan Thomas Lowe (February 2, 2007)my nephew.

0 comments: