Monday, May 18, 2009

The Destructive D's

This morning the conference talk I read with my scriptures was "Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ" by Elder Kevin W. Pearson. If you haven't had a chance to read it you should take the time - it is a really good talk, at least for me. He talks about having faith and challenges and then he gives 6 D's that destroy our faith. It was the Lord's answer to all my frustration and worry - that and some good talks with great friends! I typed them up and posted them on my bedroom door so I thought I would share with the blogging world.

The “Six Destructive Ds”

All erode and destroy our faith – we can choose to avoid and overcome them.

Doubt

A negative emotion related to fear – it comes from a lack of confidence in one’s self or abilities – it is inconsistent with out divine identity as children of God

Discouragement

Comes from missed expectations – chronic discouragement leads to lower expectations, decreased effort, weakened desire, and greater difficulty feeling and following the Spirit

Distraction

A lack of focus – eliminates the very focus the eye of faith requires – discouragement and distraction are 2 of Satan’s most effective tools, but are also bad habits.

Lack of Diligence

A reduced commitment to remain true and faithful and to carry on through despite hardship and disappointment

Disobedience

Undermines the very basis of faith – often the result of disbelief, the conscious or unconscious refusal to believe

Disbelief

The state of having chosen to harden one’s heart – to be past feeling


0 comments: