Saturday, May 16, 2009

Graduate School

Warning - I am going to complain so if you don't want to read me complaining than wait till I post again.

Sometimes I really hate graduate school here. I have an advisor that could care less if I graduate with a PhD or not. I don't have anyone that is really much on my side of trying to accomplish too much in one year (except Patti, my boss) and so that is really frustrating. I just wish I had a good strong pusher (I know not really a word) behind me to help me, advise me, and actually sit down and listen to what I am finding and help me make sense of it.

Where did this complaining come from you ask? Well, tonight we had a graduation party for a friend that graduated yesterday with her PhD and so her parents and boss hosted a dinner party. Her advisor was there and her friends, co-workers, etc. Well after dinner her boss got up and gushed and gushed about her - how wonderful she is, her accomplishments, etc. It was a nice tribute to her and what she has accomplished so I was happy for her but then there was the selfish part of me that wished there was someone that would want to do that for me, besides my wonderful family and friends. I usually convince myself that that is enough but it was hard tonight and it just made me sad - I am a little PMSy so that probably played into it as well. Just thought I would vent.
PS - I'm not fishing for compliments but this blog is somewhat like my journal so sometimes there is a little pity party on the screen. :) Really I just want to be done and have a normal job away from all this stress.

0 comments: