Thursday, November 27, 2008

It's Thanksgiving!

I was talking with my mom about a week ago about how Thanksgiving in many ways doesn't seem like enough sometimes - you work all day cooking and in about 15 minutes it is gone and people wonder off to play games, sleep, etc. So that is why I decided to do a week of Thanksgiving and then yesterday when I was work calling people to set up interviews with them I had a mother tell me to come today - that they weren't doing anything. WOW! So I agreed hoping that this family that lives in a trailer park would be able to benefit from the $30 that I give at the end of the interview for their time. So I went this morning and drove around the park and found the trailer and family. I did the interview and asked them about plans for the day and still no plans - they might go over to some friends and eat some food at some point but nothing certain. I am very thankful today for a good job, good friends and money to provide for my needs and some of my wants.The thing that I decided on Monday I would talk about today is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Recently I have been touched by the good people that I meet. I think about how Christ's teachings have changed so many lives even if they are not of my faith. I think about Elder Uchtdorf's talk about hope and how faith and charity work together to create a better person, a more charitable, faithful, and hopeful person. I am grateful to know so many people that have taken those teachings of Jesus and use them each day in their lives, it is a blessing to me to know them.
The Gospel and my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints blesses my life in untold ways, but here are some examples.
1. I get to be in primary and see the faith and hear the testimonies in song and words of the children "Suffer the little children to come unto me, for such is the kingdom of God".
2. I understand the plan of salvation - that alone is worth so much and such a blessing
3. I am sealed to my family forever and if we live worthily of the celestrial world we will all live there together - a true heaven in deed.
4. I get to be a missionary and teach others for the rest of my life through my words, deeds and testimony
5. I meet some of the most amazing friends and people that love me and support me
6. We have a living prophet that guides us, leads us, prays for us
7. We have the priesthood of God
8. I get to go to the temple anytime I want and feel close to my Savior and Heavenly Father
9. We believe in personal and modern day revelation
10. I get to read and study the Book of Mormon each and every day
11. I know how to prepare and am not worried about the future
12. I belong to a ward which is a instant support network
13. I know that I am a Daughter of Heavenly Parents who love me and want me to return to live with them someday
14. Everyday of my life is blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost
15. Most of all I am thankful and grateful that I know I can have a personal relationship with my Savior, that He died for me and rose the third day, that through the atonement all of my sorrows, pains and sins will be resolved, and that He loves me and knows my needs.

0 comments: