Saturday, September 27, 2008

Corn Maze with the James and Kim

The James have been a large and great part of my life since I moved into the ward.  Heather (the mom) is my VTing companion and I was in her primary presidency before the current one with Kim, Harvey (the dad) was in the Bishopric and is my home teacher (right now he is in Prague on a Full Bright).  They have two great kids, Hannah (11) and Isaac (13) whom they adopted.  They are my favorite 11 and 13 year old that I know - great kids. 

So there is this cool corn maze outside of Columbia (just East) that we decided to check out today.  The last time I went on a corn maze was in Lehi, UT and it was right after Cameron was born.  Donna, Suzan, Cameron and I went, paid our money, got lost for over an hour and finally retraced our steps to the beginning!  It was an adventure and I guess that is what it was meant to be. 

busy_barn_2 

This is the cool barn next to the corn maze - the Shrycock family has done the maze since 2002 - they have been farming the land around it for the last 5 generations and now use 15 acres for the maze.

This time the maze was cut in the shape below for the coming election. 

08_maze_page_photo

So this is what we walked through (this is an aerial shot), there were 10 check points that asked us questions about elections, presidents and the like.  We did have a map that clearly showed the exits (note: this only helps if you know where you are the map - which looked just like the picture above).  We figured out a system and in the end got all of the check point marked (there was a drawing for a iPod and bike that the kids wanted to enter).

Here are some pictures.

DSCF0021

Isaac, Hannah and Heather trying to decide where to go next.

DSCF0022

Heather, Kim and Hannah

DSCF0020

We thought that the roots of the corn was fascinating - they were above ground and none of us had ever seen that before.

DSCF0023

There was a bridge you could use to "get your bearings" this is what we saw - not helpful in any way but pretty!

DSCF0028

Me, Hannah, Isaac and Kim Outside of the maze.

DSCF0029

The James Family - minus Harvey.

After the maze we had a picnic lunch and then headed home - it was a beautiful day and a fun time, I am glad that we got a chance to go before I leave.

Tonight is the Woman's broadcast and so the sisters in the ward are eating Chinese food and then heading over for the broadcast.  Later Kim is going to come over and we are going to watch Anne of Green Gables (the continuing story) - Kim had never seen or read any of it so she is now reading the books and watching the movies.  I had forgotten how good they were!  And of course we are going to work on primary program stuff because we start practicing tomorrow!

3 comments:

jturpin said...

Sounds like a fun day! Good to have those!

What did you think of Elder U's talk? I have been heard anyone talk like that about creating or that passionately.

asiaelizabeth said...

So fun! Enjoy it before you move to Houston no corn mazes!

Michelle Kynaston said...

That is a really cool corn maze. I've never been in one bigger than a kids one. I didn't know they even existed that big! What a cool thing to do! I just finished reading Anne of Green Gables earlier this year and loved it. It was fun to move to Idaho and read it - made me feel like that's where I was moving. =)