Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Spiritual Goals

On Sunday during Fast and Testimony meeting a sister was bearing her testimony about a woman whom she knew, that was not LDS, whom shared similar spiritual goals as she did and so they have created a great bond and friendship built on those things.

I listened thinking - that is really cool and then I had this conversation with myself - "what are your spiritual goals?" I thought well to build a stronger relationship with my Savior and Heavenly Father, to pray more often and more earnestly, to read my scriptures with more intensity and then the thought came - "well how is that different from 10 years ago?" "Well - I don't know - my testimony has increased, my faith is stronger, I know more, etc., etc. But I don't know that that is enough - I set goals to read certain church books, study in a certain way and when that is done then what do I do? I don't know that I know how to set goals like that." And so it continued through the day and into the week - my mind keeps coming back to the idea and wondering what I need to be doing to achieve such goals.

So, I thought back to YW and the personal progress program, which I have used since to set goals for myself, and started to wonder what goals I need to set. So, am I the only one that is like this - that sets goals and then achieves them and then "sorta forget to set more?" I don't know if it is just laziness/ idleness or just human nature.

So, the goal for the week is to set some spiritual goals that are long term in nature - ones that will last for years and allow me to accomplish small things along the way so that I know that the work I am doing is yielding some results.

What do you guys think about this? - maybe it is just me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathie--you are such a great influence for me even 1200 miles away. I too need to set spiritual goals and not be so complacent in where I am in life. Thanks for the reminder to always work to progress. Miss you.

Michelle Kynaston said...

you're amazing. i get so caught up in my life that i forget i NEED to set goals. it's a good thing that i have you and that i have mike. you both keep me reevaluating my mind's focus. thank you.