Sunday, April 27, 2008

Garden and thoughts


I love the Hymn "For the Beauty of the Earth." I know this probably sounds strange but gardens always remind me of that song. This is my meager garden that I am trying right now to protect from the elements - it got cold here again. They have been sleeping with a sheet over them! I planted 19 pots to date and some of them have more than 1 plant in them. I have tomatoes (lots), broccoli, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, and a herb garden (basil, thyme, parley, sage) I have already enjoyed the herbs a lot. I love to look out my back door and see them - they look beautiful to me. In my blog about going to see the Amish, Asia commented that farmers had to have a lot of faith in God to rely on the earth to feed their families and sustain their livelihoods. Here in MO I have come to realize how true that is and how many families here struggle to make it year after year. I have learned a great appreciation for the very hard work that they do, the little money involved and to buy products from the area. I am trying this year to do my part - at least I will have tomatoes readily available - I think I needed up with 7-8 plants! I am going to get some squash when it becomes available - I am lazy and use the already plants plants instead of the seeds.

Other thoughts - this week I have thought a lot about the scriptures and the miracles that are in my life everyday. I am reading the book "The Holy Secret" by James Ferrell, I got it when I was visiting home. I am also reading the New Testament right now. My goal is to gain a stronger and firmer testimony of the Bible (probably sounds strange but I always go to the Book of Mormon for my answers and I want to know that I can find them in the Bible as well), I want to learn more of Christ, I want to understand the parables in the Bible better and apply them to my life. As I have read with these purposes in mind and prayed that the Spirit would help me I have been blessed. In my P blessing it says that I "am blessed with faith that will lead you to understand the scriptures. As you progress in your understanding of the scriptures you will have also the ability to interpret the scriptures to those around you." That is an amazing promise and I really don't feel like I have done my part in making it happen. After studying for comps I started to wonder what what wrong with me that I didn't study the gospel with the same urgency. I had plenty of excuses - anything from time to knowing how to really dive in to what I wanted to learn. But with all things the Lord had an answer and I am so grateful. I learned a lot about myself during the last few months and so it has been a great experience.
The one thing I love most about reading and understanding the scriptures is that the Spirit is so much closer and firmer in my life. As I work on one thing than several other weaknesses pop up but they don't feel as overwhelming and I know that the Lord will help me if I do my part. I have been fasting almost every Sunday for the past few months for various things (comps, friends, family, Zion-Grace, etc.) and have been blessed with a much stronger testimony of fasting. I have seen it work in my life and I am forever grateful. Being fast Sunday I had the privilege of listening to testimonies of those that are in my ward. How grateful I am to be in such a wonderful ward with such wonderful people. Their testimonies and examples have helped me so much in the past few years. I can't fully express what is in my heart but that I am so very grateful to be part of such a wonderful work.
Our Bishop gives us a challenge each summer. The first one here was to read the BofM in the summer, then last year was to be prepared with our food storage and financially for 3 months and this year it is to give away 100 Books of Mormon! So, I challenge all my faithful readers (all 2 or 3 of you) to pray about whom in your life would be a good person to give the book that has changed all of our lives. I will keep track on my blog of what I have decided and together we can have the faith and courage to do this. I know that it will work and that those we share the Book of Mormon with will be blessed, I know I have and am every single time I read it! Just think about it! Have a wonderful sabbath day!

1 comments:

Lissa Ann said...

You have such wonderful insights! You should check out my friend Desi's blog about multipling and replenishing the earth. Makes me love and see gardening in a whole new light!
Love ya!