Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Adultness

In my last post I mentioned that I had to buy a vacuum cleaner, so I succumbed and bought one from the Kenmore website - it was 1/2 price, still more than I wanted to pay but it did get almost a perfect 5 out of 5 from the real people reviewers, so I am trusting in them to pull through for me. There is something almost pathetic about the purchases that become exciting as an adult. This summer I had the weirdest experience buying a washer and dryer. I felt like by the end that they were going to pay me to take it away. Beth was here and can back up that strange situation were I got a very nice set for about $350 less than I should have and then they gave me back delivery and they were running a special so I got a $50 gift card to LOWES, and someone bought the old set for $50 (I didn't think it was worth that much). The whole thing was surreal, nice but surreal.

You all should be proud I have been studying, making nice little cards to memorize with, and spending entirely too much time with these subjects, hopefully it will payoff.

I give my first test of the semester on Friday and today was the optional review day. I was there to answer any questions that they had - the first hour went the whole time - they asked good questions and seems to get good answers - we will see I guess. The second class only asked two questions which took about 30 minutes to address. I was happy I got to go home early - and they think they are the only ones that want to do that. :)
On Sunday night Amy and I were having FHE, everyone else was sick, and I decided we should read Elder Bednar's Talk "The Tender Mercies of the Lord,” (May 2005, p99-102), I had felt all day that I should read it and that is were we get our lesson from (the Ensign - Conf. Issue) so Amy was game and so we started to read it. It is so powerful that I had a hard time in some places when it was my turn to keep my voice steady (strange I know :0 - I am never emotional) but I thought I would share some of the things I found very profound.
"Let me suggest that one of the ways whereby the Savior comes to each of us is through His abundant and tender mercies. For instance, as you and I face challenges and tests in our lives, the gift of faith and an appropriate sense of personal confidence that reaches beyond our own capacity are two examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. "
"The Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings."
"We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live. When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance (see 1 Ne. 1:20)."
"Some individuals who hear or read this message erroneously may discount or dismiss in their personal lives the availability of the tender mercies of the Lord, believing that “I certainly am not one who has been or ever will be chosen.” We may falsely think that such blessings and gifts are reserved for other people who appear to be more righteous or who serve in visible Church callings. I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us."
"I know that He lives and that His tender mercies are available to all of us. Each of us can have eyes to see clearly and ears to hear distinctly the tender mercies of the Lord as they strengthen and assist us in these latter days. May our hearts always be filled with gratitude for His abundant and tender mercies."

This talk is fast approaching my favorite talk. It is beautiful and powerful and filled with wisdom. I will add my testimony to it that I know the Lord knows our needs, desires, pain and is there to help. I see the tender mercies in my life when I pay attention but they are always there and with faith they can just grow. I love you all and hope that you can find peace, contentment and love in the Saviors love.


1 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

I really like Elder Bednar's talk, too, but I don't understand it as well as others do. To me, reading his talk is like waking from a dream. You can remember bits and pieces and how you felt, but you just can't remember exactly what the dream was about. I read it and say to myself, I really like how I feel when reading this but I can't put my finger on anything specific. Drives me crazy that I haven't been able to fully understand it.