Friday, August 29, 2008

The First Full Week

Well, today ended the first full week of classes. Wow I am ready for the semester to already be over. I have had kids change classes, drop, add and then change again all over again. Last semester I failed two students (boyfriend and girlfriend pair) that rarely came to class, only turned in half their assignments and would come to class 30 minutes late. It drove me and my class insane. The girl wrote me half way through the summer and asked me to drop her from the class - what? You don't drop a class after it is over and you didn't ever do anything. They showed up on Wed. laughing nervously about how they are back. I was not happy - that is probably an understatement. Then this morning they weren't in class, after the lecture I gave them about how they better be there and on time, I already was frustrated at them - what a mess I thought. Then they show up at 10am, an hour after they should have been there, they had changed sections after the drop and add deadline!!! So I sent them in to find out what was going on since I already had 29 slots and they would put me at 31 (over the limit). Then Dr. Grant came in and asked me to consider it - well off course I did but come on - I have already figured out a lot of things with the updated list and now I have to redo it all. Frustration!
The biggest problem is my bad attitude towards these two students that made a huge disturbance almost every time they actually came last semester - I don't want them in my class and so I need to have a change of heart soon so I am fair in their grading.
I have another student that is homeschooled and 16 that is taking my class. He has told me several times that she is not getting things, can't remember anything he reads minutes after reading it and can't take notes to save his life. I suggested he talks to someone and get tested, but for now I am recordig my lecture with his digital recorder and giving him more time - I am not sure what to do next, even with my background, I can't diaginosis and he needs some extra help. I talked with Student Services but they are too small to do testing and it would be up to him to get it done and pay for it. I also wonder if at 16 and no "formal" education for the last 10 years if he is ready for my class. I guess we will see.It made me think about all the homeschool kids I know that will have no problem doing these things. I wonder if students realize that teachers worry so much about them.
I have realized that Satan is doing a great job of helping me overreact to things this week. My boss was grumpy, unfair and unreasonable the other day and my mind just went off, I am doing better now. I went to pay the rest of my rent and find out what I needed to do to move out and read some of the things nad instantly ws frustrated at the company. I got my old students and was so frustrated and unhappy - then I was driving home and realized how well Satan was able to edge me on so that I was frustrated and inpatient and thus not feeling the Spirit as well. WOW! I wish that I was faster on the take and it didn't take me 3 miserable days for me to realize what was going on. I have tried to stop reacting and start acting in response to things in my life and hopefully that will help.
Final work schedule for Fall:
3 classes for Moberly - I leave about 7am and get back around 1:15 on M,W,F
10 hours with Linda at Ellis
5 hours with Extension
All the "other" time is for me to write and get done with my PhD crap!
I now have two callings - Primary and Stake Single Adult Activity/Rep person - not my favorite, but mine still the same. So, it should be interesting anyways - that is what I tell my students that I try and make it interesting but I don't promise fun or exciting!

1 comments:

Michelle Kynaston said...

well i thought your blog post was "fun and exciting" - made ME want to chew out those two kids! haha