Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Each year I get excited at the smell and site of school supplies in Wal-Mart and Target stores. I love the newness of beginning a new year of school, the learning, the growing and the excitement. Well, for some reason I haven't really felt that this year. It might be that I started teaching 4 days after my vacation and I still had somewhat of a vacation "hangover". I am still tired and my body thinks it is really supposed to sleep more like 10 hours a night not 7 or 8. So, needless to say yesterday at 6am came early as I drug myself from my bed and accomplished getting to Moberly (45minute drive) by 8am. I did this all Winter semester but I am definitely out of practice. So if practice make perfect right around the time that I move back to TX I will be doing well. I have 77 students combined in my three sections and that seems like a whole lot - in fact I think it is almost double what I ended up with last semester! I tried not to scare the kids off too terribly bad yesterday but I did go through every bit of the syllabus from beginning to end telling them about each and every assignment. I also tried to create a syllabus that allows me to grade the smallest amount of things at home. So, hopefully that will work.
I am having trouble feeling motivated to do much these past few days. I need to finish my grant but I am so tired I have opted to watch the Olympics instead. I am enjoying it but I feel guilty about not getting things done.
I am going to the Nauvoo Temple tomorrow - when I am in Moberly it is closer than St. Louis so I am just going to head over there after I teach and do a session and then drive home - I am excited because I love that place so much and hope to go a few more times before I leave for TX.
Speaking of TX I made my arrangements for my moving truck today - it made it feel so real. I also paid my rent up until December - I paid last months rent when I moved in and am moving out the middle of Dec. so really only have to pay 2 1/2 months rent! That also was a eye opening experience to the fact that I am really moving. I need to get on the move with everything else so that I am ready.

2 comments:

Shelly Turpin said...

WAHOO! I am so excited you are coming home soon!
I know it's a million things to get done, but I am selfishly excited!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you on your final semester in ole MO. You will do great. I wish I was driving to Nauvoo with you. Good luck on getting all your stuff done before the move. May your semester be better than the last one, sorry I won't be there to help grade papers :)