Friday, August 15, 2008

The Gospel

Lately I have been thinking about how much the gospel affects each and every aspect of my life. Being here in SD and seeing Mt. Rushmore made me contemplate about the significance of the founding fathers on our nation and the church. There is a talk I found by President Benson in 1976, that talks about the founding fathers and the pioneers of the church. It is really good and very interesting what he suggests that there are things that both the founding fathers and the pioneers would have us do to stay faithful. It is a very interesting article called Our Priceless Heritage. Just follow the link. AS I have thought about the many sacrifices that both the pioneers of the church and the founding fathers made it amazes me of their faith, dedication and determination to a cause, their faith that things would work out but regardless giving everything of themselves to see it through. I have never thought of myself as having that much determination to do anything, I hope that as I work at it that my determination to live and share the gospel will continually grow.
I have been reading Sheri Dew's book "God Wants a Powerful People", I am almost finished and just wanted to write a little bit about it. It has been a great book, which I should go back and really digest this next time. She makes great connections between the gospel and our everyday lives. She makes me fell like I want to be better, do better, make better choices, etc. It is kinda the feeling I get at the end of general conference. I love that feeling and so I love the book. She makes this statement in her book "The Prophet Joesph taught that three things are necessary for a person to have true faith: first, he or she must know and believe that God exists; second, he must have a correct idea of His character, perfections, and attributes; and third, he must have ht assurance that one's life course is according to and harmonious with God mind and will. Said he 'Such was and always will be, the situation of the saints of God, that unless they have an actual knowledge that the course they are pursuing is according to the will of God they will grow weary in their minds, and faint. (Lectures on Faith, 6:4). I would recommend her book to everyone.
It seems the more I think about the gospel, it's principles and how I want to live it the firmer my determination and faith grow - I am sure that is why reading and pondering is what the Lord asks of us. I am constantly amazed at how much the Lord blesses my life, my families lives and how it all works together to help us achieve the will and mind of God.

1 comments:

Michelle Kynaston said...

you are a traveling woman! when are you going to travel just a bit further west? =) we'd love to have you anytime, really! good thoughts on the gospel. i need to read that book...sounds enriching.