Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Contemplation

Contemplating what you ask - well the first day we were here , Saturday, Dallas and I stopped to eat lunch before heading to Mt. Rushmore. As we were eating Dallas was telling me that she had read some really negative remarks about Sister Becks talk last September about Woman who Know. She was surprised that woman in the church would say such things about a leader of the church. I and most of my sisters and some other friends had talked about that same subject and how sad we thought it was. I am not saying that she wasn't blunt or forthright but that is what we need in todays world of confusion and strife. I was glad that she outlined for us again what hte church sees as the role of woman in the church.
We decided that like the scriptures say, that the wicked taketh the truth to be hard - before anyone gets the wrong idea I am not saying that they are wicked but there seems to be evidence that they are not fully following the teachings of the church because what she said was not new nor different than what has been said for generations. It taught me that if I am having a problem with something that a servant of God is saying than it is me that needs to change, pray to understand and at least at first follow in obedience until I gain a testimony of it.
Dallas was talking about how she thinks it is one of the ways that we are seeing the wheat and tares parable in modern day living.
That night when I opened my scriptures to read there the answers were. I was in 2 Nephi 31. In verse three it says "For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding. " That seems pretty straightforward.
In verse 13 it says " Wherefore, my beloved brethern, I know that if ye shall follow the son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that we are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism--yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yes, then cometh the baptism by fire of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the holy One of Israel." I was thinking that as members of the church we have done this and now need to be willing to whatever is asked of us.
That is also the chapter that talks about the straight and narrow gate and being steadfast and immovable in the gospel. It was nice to be talking about this and then having hte answer just right in front of us as we read the scriptures. I love when that happens.
I pray that I will be able to always follow the words of the servants of the Lord and stand fast and strong in the gospel.

4 comments:

Shelly Turpin said...

Amen. I just watched a family totally leave the church. It starts with simple things - speaking evil of the Lord's annointed. Seems harmless, but it's a slippery slope. I have learn to pray that I can be faithful - truly faithful.

Boe said...

Okay, I had to go back and reread that talk, and I still do not 'get' why anyone would have issues with it. Unless they are not living the gospel, and just as you mention, take the truth to be hard. I loved that talk and loved rereading it. It reminds me that the choices I have made are the right ones and that I am following the Lord's plan. That people would get that upset over it amazes me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all that has been saide here. Murmuring leads to apostacy and I would not like to be in their shoes. In the Deseret News just this week there was another article about that talk and how people are having issure with it. We have all read that talk many times and she speaks the truth. Bless Sister Beck for being brave and speaking with the spirit in telling us what we need at this time. Really enjoying seeing your vacation pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Um--sorry about that, the anonymous post was from me Amy. Didn't mean to make it anonymous.