Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ward Conference

Today, we had ward conference in our ward. I was asked to attend the Stake Training meeting before our block of meeting for the primary and so I went, hoping that I would not be asked to say anything for primary. Well of course that was not the case. The stake leaders introduced the churches new goal for North America and Canada of doubling the baptism from last year! That seems big - so they broke it down into what our ward has to do - a mere 14 baptisms in 11 months - that should be doable? Then they want to double the amount of lessons being taught each week by the missionaries, which will go nicely with the other goal of course, so we are to get them from 15-20 to 30 a week. There is a lot of accountability along the way and the question was asked of me was how we as a presidency was going to help in that effort. How I was going to deal with children coming to church with friends and making that a opportunity to make contact with the family of that child. It all was a little overwhelming but I have no doubt that it can be done and with a little faith that we all can accomplish it together.

Brother Hubbard, who was doing the training, emphasized the need to remember that we are doing this because we love the people we are referring but also because we love the Lord and want to do as he has asked us. I thought during the meeting that if the prophet asked us to do something like read the Book of Mormon in a certain amount of time, or use the general conference issue to guide FHE lessons I jump on it and immediately do it, so what is my problem here? I think it is that we are asked to do something outside of ourselves - ask others to see what we think is important as important themselves - that is hard and a little scary sometimes, even after a mission.

The Bishop talked about finding a balance in the things we do and referred to Elder Oaks talk Good, Better and Best in the last conference and how we can take the ideas taught there to help us make decisions between the many good things that are trying for our time. The Stake leader talked about the things in our lives that we see as giants, like the Isrealities did, and how we can over come them with faith and by following the great examples around us. The day was nice and the sunbeams even were quiet during sharing time!


1 comments:

CYNDI said...

Kathie, your page is so pretty!!! I sure love you, I am always in awe of you. I need so much help!