Wednesday, January 23, 2008

COMPS


Studying for comps is like trying to catch a bubble that is flying away into oblivion. So today I went and spoke with my adviser, Jean, about COMPS. How I dread them, am scared to take them, not sure how to study, didn't know if I was on the right track, etc. She told me I was fine and not to worry. But she doesn't know me very well and I will worry until I am finished on the 18th at noon. Everything is in place and all I have to do is BS my way through 8 hours of torture and then 2 hours of orals! Yucky!!!

All my "friends" that have gone through it say that it is scarier to think about than to actually do it and that the grant part is not that bad. I am not worried about the grant because I already know what I want to do but, the comps seem really yucky.

This week I am relearning about theory - human development ones like Piaget, Erikson, Vygotsky, Maslow, Skinner, etc. Now I have to do is not go in there and talk about Eriksons 8 levels and claim that they are Piaget's and we will be good. :)

I am thinking of starting a new study. This study will be about how rural mother's gain their identity as mothers. There has been lots of work on mothers in general but all the work and experience I have tells me that it is different for rural moms. I just have to get a faculty member to say they will "co-sign" per say and I will be off and running. I am going to try and recruit from my nutrition study and my classes in Moberly. I think that it will be very interesting - but we will see. I think I am a little crazy but it is something I have wanted to do for a while now and just figure I should go ahead and do it while I am here.

2 comments:

CYNDI said...

You are going to be fabulous and then come vacation with us with a new air of freedom! Just think, it will be exciting to cross that off your list. We can't wait to see you, not that we are excited about the drive out there, but it will be worth it! I think you are one of those women with a mothering heart. VTing message. Rural mothers are going to benefit for all you do for them. You are doing a wonderful thing. I love you.

jturpin said...

Wow - I get tired jsut reading your blog! :) You are awesome!
You'll have to share the results of your study. It would be interesting to see how they differ from town folk.
Love ya,
Shelly