Saturday, January 19, 2008

The St. Louis Temple


Last night my friend Amy and I went to St. Louis and attended the temple. It was a really nice session, very full (we think that it was temple night for a ward in the area because they all know each other). Amy had a presidency meeting and I had work so we quickly left at 4:30 to try and catch the 7:00 session, it snowed around us the entire time and we had to figure out the alternative route because of construction but we got there right in time.

In the session was this little old man that was completely blind and it seemed going deaf. He comes faithfully, Amy sees him everytime she goes and I probably just have never noticed. It was really interesting to watch him, he sat on the front row and did everything on his own. He participated in the prayer circle and just seemed so happy to be there. It just got me thinking about how much we are blessed with. My health is not perfect but I can see and hear, I have the energy to do the things that are most important to me - I am very blessed. I think that I can learn from this mans determination to continue to go to the temple when going is a struggle and when he cannot see the screen and barely hear the speakers. I hope that someday I can be so faithful.

As Amy I drove up there we were talking about a sister that I know that is struggling a lot spiritually and in many ways it is because she never fully developed a testimony of her own and found out who she was. Her testimony has wavered because of challenges placed in her life that did not fit into the "perfect Mormon life" as she puts it. It makes me very sad that she feels this way and hope and pray that not only she but others in her same predicament will be able to turn to the Savior for healing and anchor their testimonies in the things that never change - the doctrine of the gospel and a relationship with Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. It makes me very grateful for going through some of my struggles as a young as I did and learning to rely on the Saviors arm to steady me and continually help me. It is something that we all learn it just comes at different times for all of us. I hope that this does not sound like preaching - I am just worried about this woman and many others in her position.

I was talking to a friend at work yesterday and she told me a story about when her husband and herself were trying to decide where to move to after medical school and residency, etc. The original plan had been to move back to Florida were they had gone to school and practiced for a little while but she really didn't want to. She said that she had been praying about feeling at peace with that decision and once she finally did feel that way she found out that returning was not a possibility any longer. Long story short they ended up here in Columbia close to her family and she learned that the Lord is truly in control and once we can give up our will then he will bless us even more. Just thought it was a great example of being willing to go where He wants us to go.

Today I get to transcribe a tape from one of my interviews and start studying about health disparities in rural low-income moms and children. I'm just so very excited!

2 comments:

jturpin said...

Yeah you for going to the temple! Two hours through the snow - and mine is 5 minutes away. I'm gratfel for your example

CYNDI said...

Is that a picture of the St. Louis temple? It is beautiful.
I don't think there is ever a 'perfect mormon life'. It may look that way to an outsider, but everyone has struggles that don't fit into the life they had planned. And hopefully, we can all turn to the Lord when they happen and try to find the next step He wants us to go. And often, we only get to go a step. :) Then need to repeat the process.