Friday, August 28, 2009

Teaching

Every day we teach someone something sometimes it is explicit or maybe not sometimes intentional or maybe not.

On Sundays right now I teach 10 18m-2's that wiggle around, climb on me and the furniture, turn the lights off and on, can easily recognize a picture of the modern day prophet, the Savior, and the Prophet Joseph Smith. There is singing, standing up and down, pointing to a bunch of pictures and sometimes in there they learn something - at least I hope so. Becca and I repeat all of our lessons twice in a row and you would never guess, it is like they are learning it for the first time every time. They are super cute, fun and sometimes even cuddly.







Then on Thursday nights I teach for the community college here. I walk the 5 minutes from my office in the School of Nursing to the old engineering building and teach for 3 hours straight. At first I thought I was nuts, that I have too many things this semester to do and when am I going to find the time to plan my lessons anyway? But it is nights like last night that make all the difference in teaching. I was able to get them to work together, learn together, discuss and hopefully begin to think more about the things we talked about. It was a good night which left me energized instead of tired - that is what I love about teaching. It is awesome to watch others get things, explore idea and see what they are thinking in that brain of theirs. It was fun. The more I teach the more I like to teach in community colleges. The classes are small, the kids down to earth and want to be there. So it is all conducive to great class discussions and fun activities that are not possible with 80-100 kids.
Anyway just thought I would tell you about my good teaching night - they don't all go that way and so I have to remember the ones that do.

In other news: the classes are going to be alright. I think that once I get over the shock of going and working so hard then it will be fine. I just keep telling myself that I just have to get through the next couple of months. I still would love for anyone to be my secretary and find jobs for me to apply for. Just think if you are the secretary you can find jobs near you!

2 comments:

jturpin said...

sounds like a really good class.

What about a small private college would it be like a community college or maybe too much money?

where do I look for jobs in Houston for you? ;)

jturpin said...

ugh - that was me - Shelly