Friday, October 10, 2008

So I was offered a job today...

I was talking with my new/old boss Patti today and she offered me the full time position that is open. She tried hard to sell it telling me that I could finish up school, do the public health program at MU and get a decent paycheck at the same time. I just kinda laughed and said no, I was going to school. Then she asked if I had heard and of course I haven't so then I was kinda caught. She tried again. I said that it sounded like a good Plan B.
That was at about 3 this afternoon and now after talking with Marcie (who was super excited and for Plan B - because she will still be here), Mama (who thought it sounded like a good plan B or maybe a plan A) and Alison who thought it sounded great I don't know. Do I take the job? For months I have felt I need to finish my degree and get this other degree too - that is why Plan A - move to Houston, live in the apartment at my parents, and get my MPH sounded so good. Then there has been the issue of a job - what do I do for money? I have applied for a few things but not heard anything and I am not there to even interview. So, I have been praying that the Lord would show me where to get a good job that will allow me to pay off debt and would be a positive thing on my career. Then a job literally falls into my lap? Hhhuuuummmm!!!! Well, I will be praying about all of this and looking at the program here at MU. I would still want to do a MPH and I could do it here but now I have to pay for tuition (I would get a 75% discount). I don't know what to do - the job is in Public Health and would/could further my career and I could do the MPH and be here to work on my dissertation which would be very helpful. I have been worried about paying off debt, having insurance, and having a good job in this crazy market with so many people losing their jobs, BUT I don't want to make a knee jerk reaction as well and take the job because I am scared or reacting to the things around me. I hate making these types of decisions. It is really hard to know exactly what to do. (This is where a husband might come in really handy - he could also pray and help me know the Lords will!)
I am going to the temple next Friday so I will take it to the Lord and see what he thinks.
Right now it feels good but I think that the inspiration to go to Houston was very real, it hard to understand things like this sometimes. I was/am very much looking forward to moving home and living at the farm and being with my family and friends again. I feel pretty isolated up here, but hopefully I would be able to come home more often if I took the job. Anybody want to give their opinion about the subject?

6 comments:

asiaelizabeth said...

A very wise Bishopric memeber once told me this is not a quote it was a while ago but pretty close and I firmly beleive this since this has happenend so many times in the last couple years. "I think sometimes the Lord just requires a trial of our faith to go to that road to make all those plans that you would be willing to follow his will, but then produces another plan for you that is right for you at THAT time after the trial of your faith."

I hope this helps. It sounds like a great job offer, though I would be sad since most likely I will be in Houston.Do whats right for you, pray about it as if you had never recieved your previous prompting. Thats my suggestion. The Lord will let you know what your supposed to do.

Blarney Girl said...

You don't have a husband, but you do have friends/bishop/HT who have the priesthood. Get a blessing. And go to the temple. And pray. I know what it's like to have an answer and then for it to change in the blink of an eye! It bugs to no end!!

You ALWAYS make the right choices, especially when they are the really tough choices. Love you!

jturpin said...

Perhaps by telling everyone you are moving to Houston it has motivated them to look and offer this job.

Without the threat of your moving on and away, there would not have been this opportunity presented. We know the Lord works in mysterious ways.

A couple of years ago Shelly was very driven on the international adoption and was consumed with finding a child in China. In the end we did not adopt from China but did find that special someone that ended up becoming our brother, Nathan.

Even though Shelly was the one driven with want of Adoption it ended up being Mama that was the one to adopt.

The desire and prompting to move to Houston was and is truly from the Lord, but the end result may be that the prompting is the vehicle to a different outcome.

We love you Kathie and know that the Lord loves you too.

Shelly Turpin said...

sounds like a wonderful opportunity and an answer to prayer
I am totally bummed that you wouldn't be HERE! :)

Lissa Ann said...

Wow, tough decision huh? I was in the same situation with my schooling. Money is a hard thing. Just a thought though, they First Presidency has really pushing for us to be debt free, so would this job help accomplish that? Could you not find a better job in Houston once your degree is finished?

Michelle Kynaston said...

very cool. i don't think i know how to advise you. we have been praying and fasting about our own housing situation, and sometimes the most logically opposite direction is the way the Lord takes us. That's how he's taking us now. I don't understand it but He does. Thank goodness.