Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Random Thoughts

First, I am having a hard time standing many of my students right now - they are driving me crazy! Okay, I got that out so I should be fine.

Second, I go in for my second interview tomorrow and I am much more nervous now than I was before.

Third, I have noticed an interesting trend of late and it appeals on two levels, one as a family scientist and the other as a Mormon. I have been reading about, watching documentaries or watching shows about families that are "going against the grain to reinvent family" lately. I watched a documentary about a family whom moved to a home without electricity and became organic farms to later move to Israel and help farmers there - it was very interesting. It is called "A Journey Home". I watched it twice while I had it from Netflix and one couldn't figure out which religion they were (even at first between Jewish and Christian) and then was amazed at the drastic measures that they took to define the family and spend time together. Then there are shows about the Duggars of course and then there is a show called I think "On the Road with Six" or something close to that on TLC. I was reading about a family that has given up everything to find time for and be around their family.

First off, I applaud them for working so hard to define what family means to them and sacrificing careers, etc to make it happen. But what I find really sad is that they have to do it. I would never see the need to move away from everyone and every modern convenience in order to figure this out and that is why I am so grateful for the gospel. I know what a family is, I know what God expects us to do in a family and know that you can create that in your/my home without running away from everyone.

For the past month or so I felt this deep feeling that what is needed in my life is a balance, not leaning too far to any one extreme but living a balance between the world and the gospel. I know that it is possible, I know that I can do that and strive for it each day. I also know that it is easy to get caught up in both sides of the equation and that I can often allow Satan to sway me towards the world in desire for things, frustration and anger, or just forgetting to truly love the scriptures I am reading, say meaningful and sincere prayers, etc.

Mainly this post is for me. I think that each of us struggles with finding our own balance and for each of us it is a little different thing that we are balancing but in this world were states are fighting to say marriage is not between a man and woman and others persecuting those that do believe in traditional values I am happy to know and stand for what the Lord has ordained as marriage and the role of a man and woman. (PS I know that it is huge run-on! :) )

1 comments:

Michelle Kynaston said...

you are a sweet girl and such a good woman that I never worry about you - I know you'll always follow the straight and narrow and balance everything well. You always have.