Sunday, May 23, 2010

Goodbyes

Columbia, MO has been my home now for 4 years and 4 months, there is only 1 other place that I have lived that long continuously in my entire life and that is Cypress, TX. I guess what also contributed to the whole thing is that my parents moved from my Cypress home to Plantersville, TX about 9 months after I moved here and so I go home to my parents but not to my old home any longer. So, consequently Columbia has in many ways become home to me. But like Rob tells me continually home is where my heart is and my heart is always with me. :) I have learned to love Columbia, the small town feel in an OK size place, the good access to two good size cities, Kansas City and St. Louis - both only 2 hours away. I have loved going to the St. Louis temple and visiting Nauvoo as often as possible but it isn't any of the places, building or shops that I will miss it is the people I have fallen in love with.
As most know I grew up moving a lot and I liked it for the most part - still get that itch to move every two years or so and have done my fair share of moving since graduating from HS (about 10 or 11 moves) but it is always the people that draw me in. I will miss the great people of Columbia. I have worked with some of the most Christ-like and loving people I can even imagine. They have taught me so much about what it means to be true disciples of Christ and how to walk in His ways. I have been blessed to make amazing friends and strengthen friendships that already existed that will continue for years to come. Those friendships and the things I have learned from them are worth more than all the degrees I could ever get. I have served in the best ward I have ever attended as an adult. I know you really aren't supposed to say things like that but it is true. I sat today, a little emotional, as I looked around at all of the great families that have shaped my life for good. The amazing moms and grandmas that are so incredibly patient and loving to their children and I just hope and pray that I can be like that. I think about the amazing sisters I had a privilege of serving in primary and YW with and their amazing talents, testimonies and abilities and wonder why I was so blessed to be in such an amazing ward for such a long time.
Today was my last day but lucky for me I get to take with me all that I learned, felt, observed, and experienced within the last 4 years as my testimony has been largely enriched. My next ward has so much to live up to :) but I am so grateful for a church that is the same everywhere, because the gospel is true and I know that to be true.

1 comments:

Amy R. said...

Just so you know, Columbia is a better place because you lived there. God bless you as you begin this new journey in your life. You will do great. Love you.
Amy R.