Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Love

The Security of Feeling Love

"The relationship between love and appropriate action is demonstrated repeatedly in the scriptures and is highlighted by the Savior's instruction to His Apostles: 'If ye love me, keep my commandments' (John 14:15). Just as our love of and for the Lord is evidenced by walking ever in His ways (see Deuteronomy 19:9), so our love for spouse, parents, and children is reflected most powerfully in our thoughts, our words, and our deeds (see Mosiah 4:30)."Feeling the security and constancy of love from a spouse, a parent, or a child is a rich blessing. Such love nurtures and sustains faith in God. Such love is a source of strength and casts our fear (see 1 John 4:18). Such love is the desire of every human soul."We can become more diligent and concerned at home as we express love—and consistently show it."
David A. Bednar, "More Diligent and Concerned at Home," Ensign, Nov. 2009, 18

I loved this talk about how we should treat those we love by Elder Bednar. If you don't remember it go back and find it it is well worth your time. As I think about the different types of love and how we show those and as I talkw ith my Laurels about love and what it means at 16 I am always drawn back to a professor I had at BYU. Dr. Scorsby,(I think that is how you spell it), who taught lanugage development, talked about how he would listen to his teen daughters talk about how they love a certain song, love ice cream, love that shirt and am in love with a certain boy. He felt that the word is overused or misused often - especially if we are talking about the love of the Lord and how much we love a certain kind of food or similar comparisons. He created in his family different words for love, I can't remember what they are becuase it was almost 14 years ago but I remember agreeing with the idea that often times we seem to lose meaning of the deepth of the love we are expressing with just the word love. I do love Indian food and I love to go camping, especially with friends and family, but that is very different from my love for the Lord, my family or Rob. Just thought I would give you something to think about today. What do you guys think - what words best describe these different ways we "love" things?

2 comments:

Donna Leavitt said...

love= enjoy, really like, am crazy about, admire, respect, relish, delight, affection, respect, desire, fondness, infatuation, devotion, fondness

Cindy H said...

I had Dr Scoresby too at the Y and I remember that lecture....Love the word is overused to the point it has lost it's impact. When I say I love something....that feeling is so strong