Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Couple Random Thoughts

First off, my IRB application was approved so I am working on moving forward with my research, still waiting on a few last things.

I meet with my new internship "boss" and she is great we will have a lot of fun I think. It should be a great experience and very eye opening. I have started looking at fellowships and jobs for when I am done -which seems so strange and so far away but many of the applications are due in Oct this year so I guess I need to get ready.

I meet with our Food Storage Person for our ward this month. She is really cute and she gave me a great idea that I have already started to use. You know those hang over the door shoe organizers? Well, hang one over the back of your pantry door, laundry room door, etc. and then put root veggies on the top and fruit on the bottom. I was thinking you could put individual packets of things in the little sleeves as well. I bought one and started using it and Mama did as well and she said she loves it and that the kids can get to the fruit and it isn't sitting on the counter or taking up room in the frig. I also think that the food may last longer in it as well - be sure to get the one that has a mesh pocket thingy instead of plastic - they are about $7.50 at Wal-Mart and Target.

My VTee that has the pregnant daughter is not doing well - neither my companion or I know what else to do. It feels like going into an abyss when I go and visit which is about every week - I am not sure how else to help and wish I did.

Today in sacrament meeting a brother was bearing his testimony and talked about how the sacred grove is sacred because of what happened there and that our lives can be scared because of what happens in them, how we live them, the ways in which we interact with others. This of course we all know but it really hit me differently today and I was struck by the way that it comes down to how we approach this life and how we live for the next one.

From time to time I feel lonely - shouldn't be too big a surprise - I am not married, have no children and live far from my best friends and family. It is really easy for Satan to get to me when I feel lonely and so I have to work extra hard to keep a good balance. I have thought and thought about being single - pretty easy when you are - and in so many ways am so very grateful for all of the blessings I have - it is so amazing to me. I think that I have a tendency at times not to do things, go places, see things, experience things becuase I don't want to do them on my own. I decided this week, again (I have to remind myself from time to time) that this is the life the Lord has blessed me with and I need to make the most of it. I am so thankful for how things in my life are working out so very well and that I have been given so very much. I think that at times I just need a quick reminder and kick in the pants.

4 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

Hey, if it wasn't for you I'd never have gone to South Dakota! I've never just gone somewhere (vac) on my own. I always want to, but I'm like you, I don't want to do/experience things on my own.

Donna Leavitt said...

I wish we were closer, so I could do things with you, again. I love you, Kathie! Hang in there!

Amy R. said...

Hey Kathie--I am always up for a trip, just let me know where we are going :) Glad to hear your work is going well, hang in there.

Shelly Turpin said...

glad your application was approved.
I love ya Kath. I love what you have made of your life. Don't think I would do as well. truly, not nice words