Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Day of Service?

Yesterday was a full day. Kim came and got me about 7am and we traveled to St. Louis. There we got to babysit 39 children, with Denise and Jason Black. We had mainly toddlers and on down (I think about 20 of them). We had a lot of fun and just watched the kids played, held babies, rocked babies, changed babies, feed babies, etc. for about 3.5 hours. The parents came back so happy and thanked us over and over for watching their children. During the time the parents were gone there were no fights just playing and having fun, then the parents came back and toddlers started "acting" for their parents. What fun - but then it wasn't my problem any longer. I have definitely decided not to have that many children in 3 years! Shouldn't be much of a problem.
After everyone left with their kids Kim, Denise and I went to a session. It was hard to stay awake at first, but when the lights came on that was helpful. It was a good session and I felt the Spirit as I prayed and pondered.
Then Kim and I went to find something to eat (at that point, 4pm, I had only eaten a English muffin and a few grapes so I was rather hungry). We found a Indian place that Marcie had told me about, but it didn't serve dinner until 5pm so we settled on a Vietnamese bistro that had really yummy food - or was it that I was starving? Anyway we made our way back to Columbia and I was in bed by nine.
They say that serve should stretch you - well my arms are very tired today - is that what they meant? Holding two or three babies at once for about 3 hours gets tiring.
Today I got to church and starting arranging the chairs and getting ready for primary and as I was putting up the door signs for the classes people kept stopping me in the hall and telling me what a great service I had done. I told the RS president that it was ridiculous to talk about us like that - she didn't agree.
I am so grateful that we got to watch the kids for so many couples that hadn't been to the temple together in a long time. I would do it every quarter and maybe by the end of the year I will have bigger muscles, both literal ones and a more service oriented mind.

1 comments:

CYNDI said...

Kathie, I can not tell you what a big deal this is. These people were able to bring their children to the temple - which means they only have to worry about you having them for a couple of hours instead of leaving them with someone all day. And they knew they were leaving them with someone they could trust, someone who would love them. Thank you for doing that. It is huge. I love you and wish you were around me more, you are a great example.