Sunday, January 25, 2009

Elder Scott's Book

I bought Elder Scott's book, Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy about a year ago (I think). It has taken me forever to make it even as far as I have - I wish I had a good excuse but they are all bad really. I did however go back and read three of the chapters twice because like Elder Scott's talks his book is very spiritually meaty. I came across a paragraph that struck me today and I thought I would share it with you.

This life is an experience in profound trust --trust in Jesus Christ, trust in His teachings, and trust in our capacity, as led by the Holy Spirit, to obey those teachings to enjoy happiness now and to attain a purposeful, supremely happy eternal existence. To trust means to obey willingly without knowing the end form the beginning. To produce fruit, your trust in the Lord must be more powerful and enduring than your confidence in your own personal feelings and experience. (2007, p91).
I had never thought of this life as an experience about trust, just never put those words to it, I guess, but it makes perfect sense and is very profound. Just thought I'd share.

0 comments: