Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What if the Tooth Fairy really does exist?

My brother, Nathan, lost his first tooth today while I was on the phone with my mom. He was really excited and now gets to put his tooth under his pillow and wait for the money to appear. Boy would I give anything to still be able to do that - of course toady I need it to be $100 bill and not .25 cents but you know everything is subjective. Hooray for childhood and the good memories that some silly traditions bring. As a child I always wondered how it really worked and how the tooth fairy knew that I had lost a tooth - the things that a child wonders about, I thought maybe that she was like Santa and could see everything - what we did right nad wrong and of course when we lost our teeth. I remember trying to stay up late one night and see if I could catch her slip the money under my pillow - it didn't work I was too tired by 9:00pm and fell off into my dreams. I wish sometimes for those days when I had someone that made me dinner, made me take a hot bath, then read me stories like Little House on the Prairie and The Borrowers, read scriptures with me and said prayers and then told me to go to bed by 8:30pm. I wish I could go to bed at 8:30, had time to read those great stories or even had someone to read to. What great memories.

Today when I was at work, entering the most boring data ever and trying in vain to stay awake I thought, I wonder what would happen if I didn't come back here and do this really uninviting work, how would really notice? Both of my jobs are weird right now. I started one in Jan. and still don't really have any real work to do yet - I am promised that it is coming but in the mean time they are just throwing things at me that are weird, not fun or completely away from the work I generally do. I am working on a marriage/relationship curriculum for low-income parents. Well, the person who has created it has done a ton of work but most of the time it is not appropriate for the target audience. So I have been given the unfortunate job of going through all 12 lessons and making suggestion on how to change it so that it makes sense for a low-income group of people. How fun! I don't have any idea how to do that tactfully sometimes - it is becoming more and more difficult as we move to lessons about finance. They had them making 5, 10, 15 year goals of where they would be and how they would budget their money then, they had them make a budget from the money they have now. Hard for any couple but when it was piloted with the program they had actual fights right there in the class - is there any wonder why? If you can't pay the bills, feed the kids and put gas in the car do you think that trying to decide what to do with the misc. fund is really a good idea? They wanted them to think about where they would be in 15 years career wise and how to get there. Most of them do not have careers - just ask them - they don't think that McDonald's, a factory or Wal-Mart is an actual career so it just is more frustrating! When they taught about career development, education (getting your GED) was never mentioned! WHAT? WHY? I was a little animated during that conversation - while sitting in a room with people have at least Masters degrees! I have to wonder a little sometimes. They have been great sports as I go off. We decided to tape our conversations so the girl writing it can capture everything - crazy!

1 comments:

jturpin said...

It amazes me sometimes how much of a disconnect us educated folk have with the poor and under educated.

I am grateful that our church does give us experience with a wide range of people and situations and can help to make a good impact with all of them.

You are good to take on this type of projects as marriage relations and family stability in low income families is getting worse.

Keep up your good work!!! (even if it is boring)