Friday, February 15, 2008

Teaching


This semester I am teaching at the community college that is about 45 minutes away. Generally I love the students, enjoy their energy and just am happy to get the chance to show that I can teach all on my own. This week my boss called and asked if we could talk, instantly my stomach feel but it was for naught. She wanted to know if I could teach summer and then 2 classes in the fall. Well, you my loving family should be so pleased that I decided that the family reunion was more important than the almost $2000 that I would get paid for 8 weeks of teaching in the summer, the last week of class is the same week of the reunion. I am going to teach for them in the fall though.

There were other first as well today. I finally got paid by them, it only is 6 weeks in the semester. My students were doing debates today and I had 5 kids not show up today that were suppose to go. I am still trying to figure out if I am going to provide some way of making that up - but they did leave their classmates in a lurch since they were in groups of 5 and 6 and each group only had 3 members each. The ones there did an excellent job of ab libbing and shotting from the hip. Another first, the campus police were looking for two of the students that did not show up. I have no idea why but didn't really want to know either.

Let's see - on Dallas's blog (http://blarneygirlblog.blogspot.com/) she talked about the weight training she is doing to lose weight. I wish I was so good. For me the most exercising lately I have been doing is to pick up another of the heavy books that I need to study from. I am hoping that after comps life will "slow down a little". I am sure that is a dream since I am conducting 2 studies, writing up two abstract for posters and will be writing up hopefully 3 papers with different people, not counting writing a grant for my committee and then doing my dissertation work - all by December. It's a good thing that there is 24 hours in a day and we get an extra 24 this year because of leap year !!!

Well, I am sure that you are totally bored and think I am crazy but you are the one still reading. :)

2 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

I honestly don't know how you do what you do on the schedule you do it on! People in perfect health don't have the energy you have. You are the brightest example to me of what raw determination can accomplish.
I love you and can't wait until your MI stint is over and you're back in TX. I'm a terrible long distance friend! :(

Blarney Girl said...

Oops, you're in MO no MI! LOL Michigan, Missouri...it's all north of Texas so I don't pay it much mind! ROFL