Monday, April 6, 2009

Feasting and Happy Birthday

I have all of these different posts in my mind throughout the last couple of days. I so enjoyed conference and came away so happy and ready to face the world but a little sad that it was over (I always feel this way). I am so grateful for a living prophet, for direct and specific council, and for the peace and joy one gets from living the gospel. I know that if we listen to the Spirit and act upon the things that are told us we will be happy but if we don't then we don't have that promise. I work with and have some of the most awesome woman in my ward - I am grateful to learn from them each week and learn to love and appreciate different people. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that knows us better than we know ourselves. I am thankful for conference every 6 months - it is about then that I begin to really need to be uplifted and it never fails the Lord always supplies a bounteous feast!
Happy Birthday Restored Gospel!
When I began my work as a secretary in the ward primary it was as hard calling for me. It is not leadership but responsibility, you do not teach but organize, you help but don't get the opportunity to interact ever with the children in a teaching capacity - that is hard. But the Lord has taught me so much about His love, His ways, His teaching and His children. The primary is the Lord's and we help him facilitate teaching, learning and love.

Random Thoughts
I went and saw "Swimming in Auschwitz" with Alison last week. It is very inspirational. They mentioned that it would be playing on PBS stations in the near future - I would highly recommend it. It is about 6 woman who survived it and came out without bitterness or hate - they had amazing optimism and reality as they lived and spoke of their experiences. I think it is an amazing example of the power and strength of individuals and what difference love and companionship make.
I went to a talk today by a woman named Maria Kefelas here at MU today. She works with low-income mothers in the slums of Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. She was an incredible speaker and solidified my desire and need to work with this population. Here is a link to one of the books she has written. It was really a great talk.
I am doing interviews for my internship and wow am I having a great time and learning so much!
I have other random thoughts in my head but I had to get up at 4:30am for a early meeting this morning and got home around 9pm from FHE so 10pm is very pretty late right now.

0 comments: