Friday, January 2, 2009

Glowie Mae Pickard Belcher

Grannie as we know her is in a better place since she passed away this morning.  I have been staying with Mandy and Nathan and have had tons of questions about where heaven is (20 miles away, 10 miles away, Mandy thought a bizillion), how we know that there is heaven, how Jesus knows to talk to us when we get to heaven and on and on.  I have tried my best to answer all of these questions and sometimes just to understand what on earth is being asked.  We have prayed and prayed and prayed for Pepa that he will not have a sad heart and that he will be able to cope better with the anguish he is experiencing. 

I was never as close to Grannie as I was to Grandma, very different relationships, but because this was all so sudden I have had a harder time dealing with it and because I am not going to the funeral and never really got to say goodbye closure is harder. 

I love Grannie and Pepa and am glad for all the things that she did to raise Mama even if I didn't agree with the way she did some things because it made Mama the person I love.  I am so glad that she found Pepa and was able to live the rest of her life in her "happily ever after".  I had the chance to talk with her as an adult some and one conversation sticks out the most.  We were talking about marriage (probably 5 years ago) and she was asking me if there had been any opportunities for me.  I said yes but that there had been reasons that I had chosen to say no and as we talked about that she told me that she was proud of me for making those choices and that she had not thought things through and only gone with her heart and that had gotten her in trouble.  Then she said something that Grandma always used to say "God has picked out someone special for you so just wait".  Of course that is true for everyone but it was nice to have her understand where I was coming from.

I love her and will miss her and hope with all my might that Pepa can overcome his grief and feel the peace of the Lord.

0 comments: