Wednesday, February 3, 2010

These Lists Make Me Laugh

I am in my last full semester of school - which is a really good thing considering how trunky I am at this point in the game. Not particularly motivated to do anything relating to school but lots of pressure anyway. So one of my classes, which I suppose I should have taken last year but had too many courses and things already, is very basic and very boring for me. It is in my public health program. We are talking about vulnerable populations and public health and the like. Reading books like At Risk in America by Lu Ann Aday - interesting in its own way if you want to sit and read (which back to the no motivation thing - yeah really don't want to sit and read it). Anyway, it is an online class (which I hate) and so I was working through the lesson and came across these two lists which made me start laughing.

Ten Tips for Better Health from the Chief Medical Officer of Britain:
1. Don't smoke. If you can, stop. If you can't, cut down
2. Follow a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
3. Keep physically active
4. Manage stress by, for example, talking things through and making time to relax.
5. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation
6. Cover up in the sun and protect children from sunburn
7. Practise safer sex.
8. Take up cancer screening opportunities
9. Be safe on the roads: follow the Highway Code.
10. Learn the First Aid ABC: airways, breathing, circulation

Ten tips for Staying Healthy from the Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research University of Bristol, England.
1. Don't be poor. If you can't avoid poverty altogether, try not to be poor for long.
2. Don't have poor parents
3. Own a car.
4. Don't work in a stressful, low paid manual job.
5. Don't live in damp, low-quality housing
6. Be able to go on foreign holiday and sunbathe.
7. Practice not losing your job and don't become unemployed.
8. Take up all the benefits to which you are entitled if you are unemployed, retired, or sick or disabled.
9. Don't live next to a busy major road or near a polluting factory.
10. Learn how to fill in the complex housing benefit/asylum application forms before you become homeless and destitute.

I particulary like the second list that says don't be poor - well then, I will keep that in mind and remember never again to be poor. :) The rest of the second list is just as exciting as #1 - gotta work for that public health department - all the PCness and everything! :) Anyway, I realized I hadn't posted in a while and thought I would post about this and then not feel as bad.

I did go to IL this weekend and had a great time spending it with Rob and his kids. Church is always entertaining in his ward and Sunday was no dofferent. It seems that the ward members either are thrilled I am there or give me really nasty looks because I am not Emily (is what I am assuming). Anyway, the church is still true and life is good.

2 comments:

Donna Leavitt said...

I am glad that life is still good for you. I was wondering how things are going for you. Keep up the great work!

Blarney Girl said...

On the 1st list, did 7 really say "safer" sex? Does that mean guys can still get prostitutes, but just make sure she's from a "safer" corner and use a higher quailty condom?? ROFL

2nd list: Any tips on not being poor except to not have poor parents?? This list just tells you what you shouldn't be, not how to not be. Absolute rubbish!! #8 was the one that ticked me off the most! I hate the word entitled.

Much more to say, but better keep it to myself! :)