Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Random Thoughts

My mind is constantly thinking about something - I am sure yours is the same - and often for me they are really random thoughts. So I thought I would share some of those with you today. The cartoon below is from a friends blog. I was thinking about weight loss - an interesting and frustrating subject all in and of itself. For years my body refused to respond to diets, exercise, or any other measure and then when I started a medication in October I started losing weight. Certainly not complaining but along with it I have no appetite (something that seems to bother others more than myself). So I have lost weight and wonder if it will stay off or find itself back to my butt, hips, and stomach area but for now I am enjoying clothes that are less tight.

My good friend Kim is currently doing a Fulbright in Honduras. She is working with the libraries (not completely certain what it is that she is doing right now) but knowing Kim she is doing an amazing job at it. In a recent email she mentioned that a year ago when we would sit and talk about conference talks after dinner for FHE that she didn't know that opportunity and her move to Australia existed and I didn't know that a Robert Ricks did. How our lives changed so quickly. Now, a year later she has moved and lived in Australia and then to Honduras and I am graduating soon and getting married. It is so interesting where the Lord puts us.
One of Shelly's last blog entries was about being prepared or the parable of the Ten Virgins. She was talking about how her preparation, which I can say was immense, helped pull her through the last year with Bella. I think that her ability to study and live the gospel has proven over and over that if we are prepared we shall not fear - at least the end result. I was thinking about that parable within my life and have wondered from time to time what more I can do to keep a even balance within my life - the spiritual, physical, academic, professional, and interpersonal aspects sometimes get very fuzzy and often I wonder if I am doing all I can to live the gospel in a way that will center and anchor me. This I have been thinking about a lot lately - I am going to join the "real world" soon as some people might call it - that of being a wife and mother and instead of gently easeing into it is not so gentle. Don't misunderstand - I am super excited and love the kids, Rob, and the life we will make together I just wonder how to find that balance. After being single for so long and only having me to deal with I sometimes wonder about how well I will do at balancing all the roles. I watched my mom growing up, she made everything look easy, I have watched my sisters and they seem the same so why is it not as easy for me? Anyway, just thought I would share my random thoughts for the day with all of you.

4 comments:

Donna Leavitt said...

Believe me, marriage and kids are NOT as easy and anyone makes it look. Sorry. Just the plain truth. But, it IS all worth it, anyways. You will do great! Just go easy on yourself. And don't compare! I don't know anyone else that is in your exact situation, and I'm sure you don't, either.

Blarney Girl said...

So what's the name of the medication you're taking?? I could use an appetite suppressant (as I much on Thin Mints while typing this).

I think you're going to do just fine with your insta-family. You're so good with kids and seeing you with Rob's at Christmas let me know that they like you. Now, with all that, I'm not saying it won't be a pain sometimes, but if anyone has the temprement to pull it off, it's you! I, on the other hand... I'm a seriously selfish person and just the thought of being step-mother to several school age children makes me shrink back in fear. Granted, I've never been presented with that scenario up to this point, but the older I get the more it's likely that any man I would date/marry has probably been married before and has kids. And all of this is coming from a person who's only ever dated one person (twice) in the last 15 years...so, I don't really have much experience to draw from!! LOL

What I do know is that you are AWESOME at whatever you set your mind to do. This won't be any different! :D

Blarney Girl said...

So funny...the word verification for my last comment was subpro! That's what I feel like..subpro! LOL

asiaelizabeth said...

It looks easy because you don't actually watch us do it all day every day. We all get frustrated, tired, cry, scream and then a two year old looks at you and says yummy mommy thank you at dinner and then has to have kisses before she can go to sleep and then it was worth it.But believe me as much as you WILL want to scream, shout and run away you wont and it will be an amazing journey with a family you can call your own. Change is scary but I think the scarier it is the better the journey and more incredible the rewards of going down that path.