Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Letter


Tis the season to send out Christmas letters - yet in the rush of my season (called the end of a semester) I haven't had time to mail out cards to those I love. So, I will put it here for all those admiring fans of mine. :)

Contemplating on the many changes and learning experiences I have had this year I ultimately am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has sustained me through the longest and busiest year of my life - thus far! In January I started a new full-time job, a new degree and wrote my dissertation proposal. I knew going into a second Masters degree while trying to complete my PhD would be rough but I wasn't prepared for the endless hours of work, internships, studying, and tiredness that followed. But before I go any further I would also like to say how inspired and wonderful the public health degree has been for me. For those who don't know this degree was one in which the I had continual promptings to pursue and then when I got offered my full-time job early last November I quickly applied to the degree here, after acceptance to one of the best programs in the country in Texas. It didn't take long to get the acceptance letter gratefully and what amazing faculty, staff and students are in the program. I am so very grateful for this experience.

In January my family was blessed with a beautiful addition to our family Arabella Michele Hope Turpin (Shelly's family) through adoption. She has many medical problems and their family has experienced many many challenges but she is a wonderful gift to our family.

Because of the newness of my position with the university I was "stuck" in MO for 6 months. It was a nice six months but it felt like forever when I was told I had no vacation and could only take 2 personal days in 6 months. Thankfully, in July our family welcomed Gideon James Lowe (Asia's family) to our family and I was able to travel home for his blessing, meet Arabella, and to see my wonderful family for little while, just in time for Gideon and his family to leave us for Germany! (Looks like they are having a great time!)

Thinking about what I want to say next makes my life sound very dull and boring. I took classes in the summer and fall and participated in two separate public health internships (April-November) one at the local level and one at the State level (360 hours in total), had my dissertation approved, collected data, analyzed data, and am in the process of writing it up, and taught a new class. Boy I feel tired just thinking about it - sure glad it is over with.

After over 2 and half years as the primary secretary (under two awesome presidents) I was released, became the nursery leader to 10 babies from 18 months to 22 months for about 3 months and then was called into Young Woman. I teach the Laurels - what an amazingly interesting calling. The girls are sweet, cute and so hungry to date (not completely sure why sometimes). So I get to hang out with a bunch of giggly girls on Wed. nights, teach on Sunday, go to firesides and talk for a long time to very confused girls about what the true reason for dating, sex, and love(I keep telling them they should find someone that has had more luck in this area but the insist on talking with me - go figure). But I love it and I love them!

This year I have been blessed with developing many friendships with people that I really wanted to get to know better, the Lord has softened my heart to understand and love people more as He would, and have felt truly blessed to have friends here in Columbia that put up with my company and even seem to like it! :) For my family here in Columbia we welcomed Gilead Emmanuel Black on November 25, I was privileged to be the "babysitter" for their other 4 wonderful boys! To add to the complicated mess you have read about thus far I was blessed to meet and begin a relationship with someone who truly has become one of my best friends. I am grateful for that blessing in my life.

As I look back on this year I am overcome with all the blessings I have been given, the family I have here in Columbia, how my testimony of the gospel and Savior has been strengthened through trials and frequent trips to the temple. I am so thankful for a whole season that we get to celebrate the life and purpose of our Savior Jesus Christ. I hope and pray that for each of you that the spirit of Christmas touches your life and stays throughout the year adding that extra measure of joy and peace that only He can offer.
Merry Christmas!

I love you all!

4 comments:

Donna Leavitt said...

I can't wait to see you! Brad told me you called about 11 PM tonight. I will try to reach you tomorrow.

Amy R. said...

Merry Christmas to you too Kathie. Sounds like you had a wonderful year. Busy as always. Talk to you soon.

Shelly Turpin said...

I loved your letter - better than the here are my kids and this is how old they are letter! :) Looking forward to seeing you!

CYNDI said...

You are amazing. I love you. Wish I could see you at Christmas!