Monday, December 14, 2009

Callings

When I was studying Preach My Gospel this morning I came across a couple things I thought I would share - now for those that think this only has to do with missionary work they are wrong! :) It is a great source of study and has so many resouces put together in one place - it is an amazing resource.

On page 11 it says:
"When you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointment, but you will not be disappointed in yourself. You can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when you feel the Spirit work through you."

Later on the page it tells us to remember among other things:
* Your calling gives you authority; keeping your covenants gives you power.
* You are successful when you are obedient, live righteously, and do your best in helping others live the gospel.

In Helaman 10:3-5 - it talks about Nephi and how he was called to preach and the wonderful job he has done - this is the part that struck me this morning. Verse 5 - And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrart to my will."

Wow to have the Lord have such faith in you. As I thought about the context and content I thought about my own calling and callings I have had in the past. How the Lord truely qualifies those He calls, that he places the right person in the calling at the right time but it is not our calling that makes it work but our being obedient, living righteously, doing our best, and keeping our covenants that allows the windows of heaven to open with inspiration and love for those whom we serve. Some mornings my scripture study is just words passing in front of my eyes other times if I am in tune the Spirit is able to bring things to my remembrance and teach me what I need to know. I hope that as you serve the Lord that you feel that same presence and that in so doing you are able to strenthen your own testimony of this great work - regardless if you lead the ward or lead the nursery you are doing God work.

1 comments:

Shelly Turpin said...

Kath - it has been almost 10 days - no post. I need outside Adult Stimulation! POST! Please :)